Re: O/D Lockout

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 23:51:36 EDT

Rob;
Yep heat kills Transmissions.
Just about 90% of the heat that is generated in a auto trans. is from the
converter.
This is another reason that a lock up converter helps the trany live, when ever
the converter is locked up the converter isn't multiplying torque and isn't making
any heat.
In the GM late model trans. (700r4 and 2004r ) when the converter is in lock up
mode the fluid is not directed into the converter ( only fluid to engage the
clutch ),
For this reason when some one unplugs the connector for the clutch , the computer
thinks that it is locked up and diverts the fluid flow, but it isn't in lock up
and is still multiplying torque and cooking the fluid that is in it , the next
thing you know , burnt up trans.
FWIW
Colin H.