RE: Headers Jackets or Wraps

From: STRICKLAND, Tate (tstricklan@shl.com)
Date: Sat Aug 08 1998 - 21:28:32 EDT

I would definitely NOT use jackets or wraps on your headers. They
will burn out prematurely. In fact the MP headers have a lifetime
warranty that becomes null and void the second that you wrap the
headers with anything that holds heat in. Everyone becomes concerned
with under hood temps with headers... My question is - "why"?" This
is what I think - if I'm wrong, let me know. An engine is going to
make "x" amount of heat under the same conditions with or without
headers. The little explosions going on in the chambers don't give a
damn if their spent contents are headed out headers or manifolds.
 Headers don't retain heat like a solid chunk of iron (manifolds) for
obvious reasons - much more surface area for heat to escape to the
atmosphere via headers. The air in the engine compartment is hotter,
but your *engine* is cooler. It (engine) is giving off more heat - it
is cooler. If you want your underhood temps to drop, pull the rubber
covers from the right and left side of the radiator - let some AIR go
into the engine compartment.

Tate