Re: Headers Jackets or Wraps

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 21:21:00 EDT

At 05:04 PM 8/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I got Gibson headers and exhaust installed on my Dak a couple weeks ago,
>and I'm concerned about the rise in the underhood temps caused by the
>headers. I was looking for some jackets or wraps for the headers, but
>the only company I could find was Thermo-Tec (www.thermotec.com).
>Anyone know of any other companies that makes or carries things like
>this? Are there any downsides of using jackets or wraps on headers?
>Thanks for any help or comments.

  Yep, I've heard that wrap will trap moisture and cause the headers
to rust out very quickly. I don't know about other manufacturers, but
I think JBA specifies "no wrap" as a condition of their warrantee.

  A much better way to reduce underhood temps is a ceramic coating.
(Not cheap though.)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |