Gen II valve covers

From: Tomdamit@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 09 1998 - 19:53:27 EDT

Mike, as a follow up to my earlier to you and the list- I went to your page to
check out the engine pics. Looks great with K&N and the valve covers, by the
way! The '97/'98 aka Gen II is much more crowded under the hood. The left
side especially. I have a HD package on my '98 so the battery is physically
larger than the one in your truck for starters (no pun!) To that, you add a
large fuse and relay box, heavy wiring harness and ABS stuff and it gets
close! The right side is better but with stock air filter box, heater hoses
and A/C hoses, it gets tight, too. I'll try to get some pics but I'm
presently not able to send via internet from here. Maybe someone else can??
hint.

One of the problems we both have had to deal with is what goes in what holes
on the valve covers. Since the two are identical pieces, what works on the
left, won't necessarily work on the right. Going around the engine, mine has
the chrome filler cap on the left front. No grommet needed. Left rear has
one of the supplied grommets (opened up) with the breather element in it and
hooked up to the air cleaner bonnet that's bolted on top of the throttle body.
The right rear has the PCV in the supplied grommet with the small hole and
finlly, the right front has the hole plugged with another of the suppled
grommets but not opened, of course. I had to get a length of PCV hose from
Pep Boys (it's close) becasue the PCV is located a little further back on the
new cover and the shaped original hose was too short.
I hope this is of some help.
Tom Ware
Riverside, CA
'98 5.2 Auto 3.55