Re: SBEC REBATE

From: Thomas McCabe (mccabet@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 22:47:40 EDT

Thomas Vacchino wrote:

> Ok,
> It seems I've started a flame war over this SBEC rebate thing! First
> off, I had no idea it was going to start a issue among the DML. Not my
> intention at all. Secondly, the most of the replys I'm getting are to
> keep the old one as back up. "just in case"!!??
> Does this imply that many of you have had problems with the new
> computer?

I have the MP SBEC (JTEC?) in my '96 OBDII Dakota. I have had NO
problems with the new computer.

> Either in performance, maintenance, warrenty issues etc etc........??
> I went w/ the MOPAR chip over the JET on the basis that IF something
> went wrong I would have a better chance w/ a legit MOPAR replacement
> part over a "third party" part. Also I get the impression that alot of
> you are switching yours out for towing, are we talking boats and camper
> weight here??........or going to the dump with the bed filled with s**t
> from the yard (that's me)???........again didn't mean to start a war
> over this!!................. "can't we all just get along!"

I use my Dakota to tow cars back and forth to PA from Chicago. I have
had no problems at all towing anything. There is no PING or detonation
when running 93+ octane fuel. I still have the factory thermostat and
exhaust except for the Gibson Cat Back. I still have the original SBEC
and mine has been in the truck since they became available for the '96.

All the MP Computers for the trucks are C.A.R.B. exempted. This means
your engine will not emit any more pollutants than the factory computer
did. If it did, C.A.R.B. would not have approved it.

Just my .02

L8r

--
Thomas McCabe