RE: Re: Splitfire spark plugs

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@kp.org)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 17:28:39 EDT

Chad,
If your happy with the Splitfires, then go ahead and run them. Half of
the battle is what makes you feel good. Some of the earlier posts
centered around the plugs
running hotter, I can tell you that the early adoption of the new smog
tests (dyno runs) performed in Colorado. Most vehicles equipped with
Splitfires actually failed
the NOx tests. The plugs have since been redesigned with a smaller
ground electrode (the problem was caused by heat buildup in the ground
electrode and the
plug was actually acting very similiar to a glow-plug). This info came
directly from the EPA and Split-Fire Inc. was willing to make the
changes. My own opinion,
I think the plugs are expensive, and I think their advertisements were
misleading and incorrect (they have changed their advertising). I prefer
to run a Platinum
plug (less gap errosion) then conventional plugs. I have had excellent
results with Autolite plugs they are pretty much all I use. Here is some
info from an earlier
post that I made..

The Autolite "APP5224" plug is a direct replacement for the Champion
"RC12LC4". The Champion
plugs are hard to come by unless you go to a Dodge dealership (not many
vehicles using them)
and are original equipment in the 97's and 98's. The Champion "RC12YC"
has been used in earlier
engines. If you want a "direct replacement for the "RC12YC", you can use
the Autolite "APP3924".
The APP5224 is the same heat range as the APP3924, but the plug nose is
..040 longer (quicker
heat-up and cleaning). I prefer the "APP5224" and use it in all magnum
engines including my 95.
No clearance problems.

The Autolite Double Platinum "APP" plugs are actually cheaper than the
Splitfires.