Welding practices

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Thu Aug 13 1998 - 19:05:17 EDT

I see two sides to the header welding issue:

Side #1
   There really isn't any excuse for doing crummy welding. It takes just as
long to do a job right as it does to do it wrong (often longer to do it
wrong). Since we're talking headers here, it should be a full seal weld with
those neat little circular motions. If they are getting "popcorn" it's
because they didn't bother to clean the surfaces of the steel or are running
the welder at an incorrect amperage. I'm no welding genious, but I've done
some, and if I can do it right after several hours of practice, these guys
should be masters.

Side #2
   Sure you can expect little bits of metal here and there, it just shows that
they don't "finish" their product. For $300, I certainly hope nobody was
expecting "Show" quality headers, those run $800+ each. You could probably
spend a couple of days at a grinder and turn them into a show set, but that
would be work on your part. It sounds like a fair deal, but you should expect
to roll up your sleeves and put your own polish on them. If they are NOT
functional to begin with, THEN I'd bitch at the manufacturer.

   I actually feel both sides of this are correct. I guess it all depends on
your level of expectation. Welding is kind of an art form, it just takes
practice to do it right, why it's mangled I don't know, but then again: I
haven't seen the work. I think I'd only be truely pissed if they didn't work
straight out of the box.

Shaun
Tustin, CA