Re: shifter knob swap

From: jeff (dischord@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 18:50:16 EDT

At 07:19 AM 8/14/98 -0400, you wrote:

>jeff wrote:
>
>> a healthy twist with both hands and it did'nt budge. Now I'm wondering if
>> it is threaded on or moulded on. Just thought I'd toss that one out to the
>> group before I go get my pipe wrench and do some real damage...Arg..
>> Jeff
>
>Let me know how you get your s off, i've also tried w/ no luck so far to get
>the stock one off. So I can replace it with a new one............All I've
>managed so far is get pissed off and bust a couple knuckles
>open..................
>'psychonaut"

I popped the cap off (thanks Tate), put a deep socket on the nut, grabbed
the shifter with a pipe wrench (with a piece of rubber against the shifter
so it wouldn't slip and scratch the paint) and it eventually unscrewed. Its
hard to initially break it free, it felt like they used Lock-tite or
something. But, after 2 years, it DOES come off!
Jeff

96 Dakota Sport, 318, 5 speed, 3.90, LSD,
Bosch Platinum plugs,Accel Extreme 9000 wires,
Accel Super Coil, Moroso Open element w/K$N,
Leonard bedliner, Continental Mark IV Shell,
White with the damn shwoop!