Re: power pulleys

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 21:47:30 EDT

At 04:44 PM 8/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>So if you go for the Power amp pulleys you then must order another belt.
>Damn smart of them. Now I have to consider the additional cost of the belt.
>Wonder if this money would be better spent on something else? Maybe a cam?

  Usually they still use the stock belt.

  You can sort of do the same thing for about $10-15 by simply buying
a shorter belt. I bought a 6 rib belt that bypasses my power steering
pump (for use at the track). I would've bought one that bypassed my
A/C too, but I couldn't find the right length. The A/C pulley turns
with less friction than the idler pulley or the automatic tensioner
anyway, so I don't think there'd be much to gain there anyway.

   I've seen a couple of people ask about just running without a belt
at all. That'll work on an older car, but its not a good thing to
do on late model computer controlled vehicles. I don't have any
firsthand experience with this, but I've heard that bad things can
happen if you don't keep that alternator going.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |