Re: I'd like to introduce myself...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 01:04:34 EDT

At 07:11 PM 8/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>So I have to install a different chip, and there is not one currently out
>that removes the limiter? Am I understanding this correctly or does anyone
>else know any other ways?
>
>dvader@intop.net

  Currently, there is no chip that eliminates either the rev limiter or
the speed limiter. As I understand it, the Jet chip is simply a "module"
that alters the outputs of the stock computer (PCM). The PCM still
knows the RPM and speed, and its limiters will kick in; there's nothing
the Jet can do. One possibility (if someone got desperate) would
be to build a circuit with a custom burned chip that could feed the
PCM a false RPM and/or speed signal. I wouldn't recommend it though;
(not without a lot of research anyway). There are other things
that use those inputs besides the limiters.

  The best route is probably to just wait until MP releases a performance
PCM. I think the big delay with the '96s was because of OBD-II. I
think the '98s still use OBD-II, so the delay will probably be less than
the couple of years I had to wait. :-)

  You might want to call Mopar Performance and just see what the status
of the PCM is.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |