Re: Headers Jackets or Wraps

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 16:58:05 EDT

> Yep, I've heard that wrap will trap moisture and cause the headers
>to rust out very quickly. I don't know about other manufacturers, but
>I think JBA specifies "no wrap" as a condition of their warrantee.

I thought there was some 'issue' with the warranty on a truck anyway. As
long as you get the things hot, there should be no problem with moisture.
 Past discussions with wrapping headers has actually been in holding too
much heat in, causing the headers to overheat and crack or melt. This is
especially a problem with stainless headers. Probably the best thing to
do is find a couple of sheets of stainless or aluminum and cut some
'covers' for the headers, and wire them to the headers or have flanges
that use the valve cover bolts to hold them on the truck to protect the
top end from the heat. Haven't tried this, but may, as I have a sheet of
stainless I can cut some pieces from.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T (JBAs just waiting to be installed)