Re:DML:R/T JBA header install

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 18:03:57 EDT

Bridges, Bruce wrote:

> Hey DML,
> Got my JBAs on Thursday (CA delivery) and installed on Saturday. The
> install took me about 4 hours (2 beers) and was a piece of cake! The
> header quality was good with some popcorn and a little burr on the
> collector to flange joint that I knocked off with a file. All other
> work looked about like my Hooker super comps only with more material and
> thicker welds. I also found that my stock 3500 mile old factory
> manifolds were leaking at the center ports !! (No gaskets is NOT a good
> thing in my mind) Now that the headers are on my engine compartment is
> quieter!! The left side was the easiest header instll I have ever done,
> with everything accessible. The right side requires removing the airbox
> (on the 5.9 l R/T). The only problem I encountered was on the right
> side. The rearmost collector bolt ends up directly behind the O2 sensor
> making it impossible to install a socket on the nut. Im sure this is a
> regular Dak with one sensor at the Y vs. R/T with sensors at the flange
> difference. If the flange was rotated 10 degrees either way it would be
> easy! As it is I used a tiny wrench and a lot of patience to tighten
> it. Since I dont have many mles on the truck I reused the stock flange
> bolts and their handy anti rotation keepers (hot tip for loner
> installs). Or you could remove the O2 sensor and use a socket (the best
> way). I left the center studs in place contrary to the directions which
> made the install of the headers a little tough (added 5 minutes to the
> job) but kept it "more stock" for going back if I ever want to. Why, I
> have no idea right now... Watch out for the sharp heat shields on the
> right side!!! Ouch!! so far my butt dyno says : Definite driveability
> improvements! Still feeling it out with a track session next weekend!
> All in all I love the headers, the install was as easy as any, they fit
> perfect with no mods at all required with lots of clearance to all heat
> sensitive things AND they are quieter instead of louder. Take a good
> look at your stock manifolds. They are Logs of the first degree! good
> for low end torque only! Now its off to JBA for a good look at the head
> pipes. After spending so much time under the truck Im not sure how much
> more improvement Im gonna get out of head pipes, but well see what they
> say but Ive got some even more radicle "ideas"...
> Bruce K Bridges
> 98 R/T CC JETII, RABB, JBA headers.

Bruce,

Thanks for the post and keep us updated on what you end up doing for a Y
pipe.

My JBAs arrived today. Only got a quick look before I had to come back
to the office. I'll probably spend 15-20 minutes cleaning them up with a
Dremel, but overall I'm pleased with the workmanship. I know what I'm
doing Saturday morning, that's for sure<grin>. Did you have any trouble
with leaks after the install? The flanges are clean and flat, I just
worry about good seal where it connects to the Y pipe.

Now to get some dyno numbers done this week before the install.

Bob