Re: Bad fuel pump?

From: Jim Lay (jplay@iname.com)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 01:15:47 EDT

David,
I am just a visitor from the Durango forum, and am not familiar with the
specifics of the Dak, but I have an idea. Your problem sounds very much like the
problem I had on my '89 Ranger some years back. Problem only occurred when warm,
and though I didn't notice it at first, only when the gas tank was below about a
half a tank.

The pump would start to get weak once it warmed up. The fuel pump in the Ranger
was inside the tank. If the tank was mostly full, the pump motor is submerged,
and the fuel itself would help to cool the pump. Once the fuel level dropped
below the level of the pump motor, then the pump would heat up and quit working.
I had a particularly hard time troubleshooting this, as I was working my way
through college delivering pizza at the time. I would go through a tank of gas
on an average evening, so I just figured the engine was heating up somewhere.
The symptoms, as you noticed, look for all the world like your average vapor
lock. The clue you mentioned was the adding 5 gallons of gas. You brought the
fuel level up so the pump motor is submerged again.

If this proves to be your problem, you might find this helpful also. I found it
easier to lift the bed off of the frame, than to drain and drop the tank. The
Ranger bed was about 8 bolts and 3 plugs. I can't imagine the Dak is too much
different.

Good luck,
   - Jim L

Jim Lay Information Resources & Technology TASC Inc Work: jplay@tasc.com Reston, VA Home: jplay@iname.com