Too much thinking

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 23:59:00 EDT

Hey list, two questions/thoughts I've been thinking about that I'd like your
comments on
(yes, no, what are you, crazy? - that kind of thing). These ??'s are for my
'95 318 CC - but probably apply to all the Daks.

1) Replaced my plugs & wires last week (MSD Helicore's), and in the process
got very annoyed with the thin metal tubes (towers) that protrude up around
the plug wire from the engine. I had alot of little crap down in there
around the old plugs, but no way to get it out! With the plugs in there is
no way to get a tootbrush or anything in to brush it away. With the plugs
out, well most of it would get into the engine (don't want that!).
Has anyone tried to remove these metal protrusions? Does anyone have any
ideas on how to clean around them w/out getting it into the engine? I was
thinking of maybe cutting these off with a Dremel & cutting wheel, but all
those little metal bits flying around make me a little hesitant.

2) I'm planning on getting the Mopar Perf. SBEC (easy enough) but was
thinking about what it would take to have both chips installed at the same
time, but control which one you are running through via an A/B type switch?
I know, the change-out of the chips is pretty easy, but this way you could
easily switch "on the fly" (go for the stock chip for normal driving/mileage
& switch to Perf. chip when street dualing, playing around). Since it takes
the computer a bit to reprogram, would this be worth while? From a
theoretical view, it should work - but I have enough electronics experience
to know that theory & reality quite often don't match up!

Sorry for the extensive post - I get rolling after a midnight cup of coffee
& flipping through parts catalogs! Thanks for your assistance.

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil - MSD 8.5 wires
K&N FIPK