Re: Don't use a 3M Green pad on your windsheild

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Thu Aug 20 1998 - 10:10:24 EDT

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:45:15 -0400 t martin
<tmartin1996@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Doug, I don't know if this trick still works, but years ago, you could
>use
>toothpowder in a thin water paste rubbed (forever, it seemed) directly
>with
>your finger on a glass scratch and rub it right out. Took lots of
>time
>and a light touch. I also did it with toothpaste, but that was before
>they
>put all that other stuff in it (circa 1963).

I've used Colgate with the "micro" polishing elemnet on a scratch on my
wife's Intrepid that was caused by the wiper coming off the arm while in
motion. It took a while and I kept the cloth very wet (like wet sanding),
but the scratch did disappear.

  I'd give it a try to
>save the
>$423 over the cost of a tube of plain toothpaste. Also, be informed
>that
>people still grind their own telescope reflectors/lenses from glass
>blanks
>using ultra fine grinding powder and a lubricant. Try Edmund's
>Scientific
>(they probably have a web site). Now, does anybody have a technique
>for
>sap that raelly works on glass and paint?

I have found that the Meguiar's clay bar routine relly works well on sap,
bugs, water spots, whatever. Amazingly enough I found that it also
removed pollen that I didn't realize was on the surface. It was in the
clay after using it. Yes, I had it checked in one of our in-house labs.
It was pollen.

Richard in SA

>> Subject: DML: Don't use a 3M Green pad on your windsheild
>> Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 3:59 PM
>>
>> Hey all,
>> I had some pine tree sap on my window. I tried to get it off. To
>hurry
>> things along I used a 3M scratch pad. I scratched the hell out of
>it.
>> I called the Auto Glass or Indiana lass company and the dealer.
>They
>> told me that nothing can be done about scratches in the glass. I
>have
>> to buy a new windshield for 425 dollars. I dont think I'm gonna do
>> this. If I do I would like to get bullet proof glass or something
>as
>> hard. Does anybody have any experience with different glass??
>> Thanks guys 'preciate it,
>> Doug

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]