Re: JBA help!!! (Jason)

From: Mike Catlin (Catlin@erols.com)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 19:30:12 EDT

> Jason wrote:
> I do indeed have sealent on the flanges. I do have one of the pipes
> connected with a good seal. I just can't get the other pipe to line up with
> the header flange, if I could just move it over another 3/4" it would be
> fine. Anybody else have this problem? Any advice?
"snip"

Jason,
        Both my headers leaked at the collectors when I first
installed them (they were at least 3/4" offset). I just loosened
the 2 bolts and then cranked them down again while I was tightening
them I would stop every 1/4 turn of the ratchet and jiggle the down
pipe this helped align the pipes. I recommend using the bolts that
JBA sent with their package as opposed to using the stock down pipe
bolts since the new ones torque up smoothly while the old ones stick
as soon as you really start to crank them. I had to torque them pretty
high to get a tight seal. I didn't use any sealer or gaskets on the
down pipes. I would start the engine and if there was any leaks I
just went back under and did another 1/4 turn until all was quiet.
I did this by my self but it sure would of been a lot easier if I had
someone in the engine compartment holding the top side of the bolt.
One last note on the R/T the O2 sensor is blocking the bolt on the
passenger side down pipe so I just put the bolt through the bottom of
the flange with the nut on the top side for that one bolt. If your
doing this by your self you can put a piece of duct tape over the
bolt end to hold the bolt in place while you put the nut on the top.
As I said in an earlier post the lock washers that came with my JBAs
for the header bolts (The 12 that hold the header to the head) are
to SMALL. Part of the lock washer will pull into the flange hole.
I strongly recommend buying a 12 stainless steel lock washers the
exact same size as the largest part of the actual header bolt head.
Just slip the lock washer JBA gives you on the header bolt and you'll
see the outside diameter of the lock washer is to small.

Good Luck
Mike Catlin