Re: Bad fuel pump?

From: HKUSP40578@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 14:38:30 EDT

my 93 Dak 4x4 had its first pump replaced at 20,000 miles.....similar starting
problems that you have....then another replaced at 33,000 miles, same
problems.....another, yes another at 78,000 miles....this last one was not
under warranty so I replaced it myself......I wouldnt pay what the dealer
wanted, and I didnt even want a dealer part cause I knew that this would
happen again....I went to my local NAPA auto parts store and bought a Carter
pump for $165. Carter is the factory pump but this one from NAPA is designed
alittle different that the Dodge ones. This was a 6 hour job but I learned
alot while doing it......the biggest thing that I learned was how much dirt
actually was in the tank!!!!! My fuel pump was basically full of dirt. I
removed my tank and cleaned it out and put a new fuel filter on.....I checked
the filter that was on the truck since the 45,000 mile marker and I cut it
open and DAMN it also was full of dirt.....guess 4wheelin' has it drawbacks!
Oh well....good luck