Re: Cat back exhaust systems

From: O26ON4@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 23 1998 - 09:47:09 EDT

<< I was thinking about getting a Gibson single cat-back exhaust system for my
 98 Dak with recently installed JBA headers. Do you think this will make a
 big improvment?
   Seat of Pants Dyno (SOPD) probably will not detect it, IMHO. Backpressure
may
   be lessened by 5-10 in Hg which equates to 5-10 hp, conservatively
speaking.

How much would this cost?
   Divide approximate $ cost by approximate hp increase to get "$ cost/hp",
always
   a good number to keep in the back of one's mind.

Is there a better cat-back system out there?
   Probably, but I don't know.

Could anyone tell me if High flow catalytic convertors are legal? Is
anyone using one?
   Yes and no, federal law allows changing out a cat. converter only if has
more
   than 50K miles on it OR if it is defective. Most muffler shops, that I deal
with,
   don't enforce the 50K mile requirement.

Thanks for hearing all my questions! Jason >>

Best Regards,
Steve Waller in Houston