Re: Throttle Bodies Attn. Patrick

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Sun Aug 23 1998 - 02:06:22 EDT

Frank;
Unfortunately the side that you can get rid of is on the bottom. So their
really isn't much of a gain ( i would think ) until you are at WOT. Which
either side that you remove will you will have to weld/ braze the center in
place so to have the support in the middle.
I brazed the center with the throttle plates in the shaft so I would know
how much to leave when cutting the rest off. I really don't know how much of
a flow gain there is by doing this but it sure seems that there would be
some. I used to do this on Tillitson carbs in my Go-karting days, it sure
made those things flow a lot more. I do have a homemade flow bench that I
used to use when building 4-cycle kart engines, but you cannot tell the cfm,
only is good to compare one to the other. I guess I should dig this thing
out.
I didn't coat it yet but it has been done for a bout a month and still looks
good ( no rust or discoloration ). I think the shafts are anodized. I would
like to get some Holley 2" plates but haven't tried to locate a place to get
them at a good price. The throttle plates are a lot thinner than the thick
aluminum ones that we have.
See Ya Colin