Re: JBA heat... WAS: JBA he

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 14:47:06 EDT

   My mother worked for a company called "Sante Fe Textiles" here in Southern
Calfornia. They have a product called "SF2600" which is a ceramic fiber that
they 'braid' around pipes and such. The Space Shuttle, B1 & B2 Bombers, and
most Military aircraft have some of this stuff braided around fuel lines,etc.
 They also braid stainless steel and carbon fiber around lines/pipes as well.
 Their ad for the SF2600 is a woman with this stuff braided around her finger
and her finger sitting in a blowtorch. I have not personally tested this
stuff that way but my mother has and she says that anything up to the
temperature of 2600 will be resisted by this ceramic fiber and will not be
passed on to the other side of the material.
   Since they do "custom" work, I'm wondering if they can braid this stuff
around a set of headers. It would certainly help keep the engine compartment
cooler and I guess it would be a pretty amazing thing to run your motor around
all day and be able to grab the headers without burning yourself. If anyone
is interested, I can try and find out their information.

Shaun
Tustin, CA