Re: JBA install-just a few observations

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 23:38:35 EDT

At 04:44 PM 8/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Mok, Alan (SPB Brentwood) wrote:
>
>I keep hearing people talk about the O2 on the passenger side. On my '98
>5.2L the sensor was well out of the way and didn't require removal.
>Actually, I was quite surprised to find a 1.75" Y pipe that is mandrel
>bent. Pretty smoothe work and not the crimped piece I was expecting to
>see. I may not gain much by swapping this one out, except for a small
>increase in diameter.
>
>Anyone know the diameter of the ATR Y pipe?

  Yep, its 2.5" and expands to 3" where they join together.

>> Be careful of the heat shields underneath. The edges are SHARP and will
>> split your hand wide open.
>>
>> I now smell burning rubber when idling. I think it's the A/C hose that's
>> above the passenger side header. Anyone else? Did you guys have to
>> reroute some plug wires too? A couple of them (rear most cylinders) are
>> very close to the primaries that loops up and over.
>
>I got a few smells while the sealers cured. I installed some Magnum
>Performance covers at the same time as the headers. The bitch is that
>they give you plain old 1/4-20 bolts for the covers and you lose the
>ability to slip the stock wire seperators back over the stock studs. I
>can see that without these you will have wires touching headers on the
>back cylinders.

  Yep, probably so. Fortunately, I used a wire loom when I installed my
MSD wires. Its a generic $8 Mr. Gasket, but it does a good job of
keeping the wires off the JBAs.

>I took a bunch of pics during the install and if it's of use, I could do
>a write up for the DML site.
>
>Jon, this of any interest to you?

  Absolutely. :-) If you'd like to do a write up, I think that'd be
perfect for the upgrades section. I was going to take pictures and do a
write up of my install, but I couldn't since I was under a serious time
crunch and I had to get them on there ASAP.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |