RE: JBA heat... WAS: JBA headers installed!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 00:58:19 EDT

At 10:34 AM 8/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >> One thing that saved me a bit of time was using an
> >> impact wrench to remove the Y pipe bolts.
> >
> >CHEATER!!!!! You're supposed to do it the hard way like I had to...
> >;-)
>
> I was going to agree that Jon cheated but I left the stock studs in
> place to help me with alignment... Ahhh hell, I don't mind being a
> hypocrite; Jon CHEATED! :-)

  Heh heh heh! Yep, any way I can!!! :-) However, I took the stock studs
out. I did use one of 'em for the 2nd hole from the left rear though. :-)

> > I'm just about ready to send my thorleys off to get coated, just
> >wondering how much of a difference this might make. What kind of
> >coating is this on the JBA's?
>
> It's a ceramic material but I don't know its exact composition.

  Yep, aluminum-ceramic, according to AirBorn's web site.
(http://www.airborncoatings.com)

> >A friend of mine had some headers put on his LT1 patrol car not long
> >ago, and after they were installed they ran it on the dyno and after
> >one pull they shut it off and I felt of the headers and they felt
> >supprisingly cool after being ran up to 5000 + rpms....

   Just curious... How did that happen? Did he pay for them himself or
did the taxpayers buy 'em? Or was it an ex-patrol car?

   Mike, there's a guy with a Dakota who comes to the track quite
regularly. He's got non-coated JBAs. He said they throw out a LOT
of heat. Next time he's there I'll see if I can get to his truck quick
enough when he pops the hood and I'll compare the heat to what Bill
and I get.

> >They were Arizona Speed & Marine headers I think, the coating was a
> >ceramic coating from what I gathered, looked exactly like the JBA
> >coating. I'm probably going to send mine to HPC, anyone know of a
> >better place or better coating to get?

  I don't know how they compare, but a couple of places I happen to
have URLs for are:

  http://www.airborncoatings.com
  http://www.performancecoatings.com
  http://www.jet-hot.com

> I was pleased by the job Performance Coatings in Oklahoma City did on
> mine... Many of the other headers were done by Airborn in Oklahoma
> City. I gotta agree that coating is a good idea... I can't imagine
> the heat these would put off without them.

  Hmmm, are these 2 different places? I thought that there was a
coater in California and also AirBorn in Oklahoma City. I just
assumed that Performance Coatings was AirBorn Coatings. Are there
3 coaters?

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |