Re: Police Daks

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 19:34:12 EDT

At 06:06 PM 8/25/98 -0500, you wrote:

>>Here in NC you can have medium tint on side windows (60 or 70 %, I
>>think).
>>Nothing on windshield. The reason for this is simple: cops wanna SEE
>>who
>>they're walking up on. They wanna see where your hands are and what's
>>in
>>them. And I for one don't blame 'em. Scary thought coming up blind
>>on a
>>vehicle you've just pulled over these days!!
>>Gary
>>
>Yeah, that's the story I've always heard, too. But, think about it. Cops
>stop behind their prey, uh, victim and walk up from the back to the
>driver's side window. Boy, that untinted windshield sure was helpful!

  Yeah, that's true. If anything, a darker windshield would reflect
like a mirror and help the officer to see down inside the car. My guess
is that you could look through the driver's side window, at the back of
the windshield, and you'd be looking right at the driver's lap which is
the most likely place for someone to be holding a gun...

  My guess is that these laws are trying to increase visibility for
night driving. If I had limo tint all the way around, it would probably
be a little difficult to pick up the small details.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |