Was: Police Daks Now is: Window tint hating Cops

From: Steve (Slow@primenet.com)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 16:12:23 EDT

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:34:12 -0400, you wrote:

> Yeah, that's true. If anything, a darker windshield would reflect
>like a mirror and help the officer to see down inside the car. My guess
>is that you could look through the driver's side window, at the back of
>the windshield, and you'd be looking right at the driver's lap which is
>the most likely place for someone to be holding a gun...

Not necessarily, it can make things worse with the Overhead takedown
lights on (white lights in the center of the red& blues), it reflects
back making it hard to see into the car.

> My guess is that these laws are trying to increase visibility for
>night driving. If I had limo tint all the way around, it would probably
>be a little difficult to pick up the small details.

Bingo! Here in AZ, you can only tint the front side windows to 35%.
The rest of the car/truck can be painted black, but the front only
35%.

Most of the Departments out here deny any type of window tint on a
regular patrol vehicle. They make exceptions for K-9 vehicles, as the
window tint helps your Canine partner.

I hear and have been in all the horror stories about tinted car stops.
Us K-9 types (at least in my unit) have a great advantage that most
other cops don't have. I have two 6" KC Daylighter lamps mounted on
the front of the trucks, on the brush guards. If I stop someone, and
it doesn't feel right, I flip on the KC's, take-down lights, and the
handy 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight and I have instant daylight. It
is bright enough to pierce any window tint, and conceal my position at
the same time. The 260 AMP alternator makes thing pretty bright by
itself, but we can really light up the night!

Steve, 29
Apache Junction, Arizona

97' Dakota, CC, 4X4, 5 Speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes,
Mud Flaps, spare-tire lock, Step-Shields, EVSII Alarm, Gibson Single
3" Cat-Back,Tow Hooks....