Re: Plug wires & Distributor Cap for 98 ?

From: Marc Robertson (marc@blackberry-ridge.com)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 22:13:22 EDT

GSWillhite wrote:

> OK Dakpak, What manufacturer of plug wires is everyone
> using for the street (Magnecore or Moroso) 8.5 ?
>
> How bout a distributor cap w/brass connectors ?
>
> I know theres alot of related stuff in the archives, but
> nothing seems definative. My truck is running well on
> stock equip. so far, but I've heard about the wires giving
> out pretty fast. Any experienced suggestions ?
>
> Thanks always
>
> GS

Maybe I'm abnormally clumsy, but I had a very difficult time getting my
stock wires off to change the plugs the first time; the short boot
coupled with the metal collar around the plug made it a real pain (I
have a '94, but it sounds like the collars are still there). So I'm
sure I ripped one, which led to a misfire, which I lived with for a
period of time (not sure of the cause since my O2 sensor died at about
the same time).

The bottom line is that I would change the wires to at least something
with more user friendly boots. The lengths on the MSD wires I got were
poorly matched to what I needed, so if I did it again I probably would
get a generic MSD set and make up my own lengths (though there may be
down-sides to that, so I would be happy to hear comments).

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com