Re: Plug wires & Distributor Cap for 98 ?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 01:28:21 EDT

At 09:13 PM 8/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>GSWillhite wrote:
>>
>> OK Dakpak, What manufacturer of plug wires is everyone
>> using for the street (Magnecore or Moroso) 8.5 ?
>>
>> How bout a distributor cap w/brass connectors ?
>>
>> I know theres alot of related stuff in the archives, but
>> nothing seems definative. My truck is running well on
>> stock equip. so far, but I've heard about the wires giving
>> out pretty fast. Any experienced suggestions ?
>>
>> Thanks always
>>
>> GS
>
>Maybe I'm abnormally clumsy, but I had a very difficult time getting my
>stock wires off to change the plugs the first time; the short boot
>coupled with the metal collar around the plug made it a real pain (I
>have a '94, but it sounds like the collars are still there). So I'm
>sure I ripped one, which led to a misfire, which I lived with for a
>period of time (not sure of the cause since my O2 sensor died at about
>the same time).
>
>The bottom line is that I would change the wires to at least something
>with more user friendly boots. The lengths on the MSD wires I got were
>poorly matched to what I needed, so if I did it again I probably would
>get a generic MSD set and make up my own lengths (though there may be
>down-sides to that, so I would be happy to hear comments).

  One problem I've heard about the generic do it yourself kits is
that you can't really be sure that you're getting a good connection when
you crimp it. The quality from the factory will probably be better.

  I've got a set of the Dakota/Ram MSD 8.5mm plug wires, and they
went in very well. They're easy to pull off the plugs and snap back
on. (I really like how they "click" into place.) It took me a little
while to figure out what wires should go where, but once I did it worked
out quite well. I got a Mr. Gasket wire loom which holds the wires in a
lot better than the stock loom did (which is actually a little too small
for the 8.5mm wires). I did leave the stock loom in on the right side
though; I used it to run the coil wire up to the front of the engine.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |