POV police car Was: Re[2]: Re:JBA heat...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 02:14:39 EDT

At 12:25 AM 8/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> BTW - Since that's his POV car , is he allowed to bracket race it when he's
>> off duty , legally on a track of course ?
>
>He intends to race it. I don't think he has gotten permision from the
>Constable, but he said if he had to he would get some white magnetics
>to cover all the pct. markings. Then it's off to the races! So guys
>who go to HRP, look out for him one day...

  Cool. :-)

  There's a guy that comes to NYIRP occasionally who's a police officer.
He runs a mod stock S-10 which was converted to a long bed. (He's in
the 10 or 11 second range.) Anyway, its got the police markings on the
side, a light bar on the top, alternating headlights, and a siren. He
fires all this stuff up when he's staged and runs like that down the
strip. Kind've fun to watch. :-)

  Anyway, if he does run, let us know how he does. :-) It would be
neat to see some "real world" numbers on those cars just to find out what
they can really do. He'll be faster than a "stock" caprice obviously,
but it would still be an interesting benchmark. For obvious reasons, the
police don't seem to like to publish exactly what they're cars are capable
of. (Or more accurately, "not capable of".) ;-) He ever get
into any high speed chases? I dunno if I could handle that; at every
stop, I'd be goin' "c'mon buddy, just TRY to run". ;-)
   (Sorry, late nights and too much caffine has addled my brain; time
for some sleep.) :-)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |