Overdrive hung till shutdown

From: Mike Burgess (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 03:09:40 EDT

Wow. I thought I was going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
 I was on a 400 mile trip, and about 2 hours out of the nearest town,
on a Saturday afternoon, going up a uphill grade, outside temps in the
90's, AC on, and camping gear in the back. I hit the OD lockout button
for the uphill, and was turning about 3k @ 70 mph, crested the top of
the hill, and released the OD button again. Lockout light went off,
and the RPM's stayed at 3k. Hmmm. Is that right? I don't remember
 cruising at that many RPM's before. Played with the OD button. Light
 on-off-on-off many times. No change. I slowed down, gave it gas to
downshift and it still didn't engage OD when backing off on the gas.
Dang! 12k miles, and I fried the OD. I see a ramp w/ a gas station,
and pull off, and top off the tank. I pull out on the service road and
make a run, and lo and behold, OD now works just fine. Hmmmm. Hmmmm.
  I'm going to have to watch this. I continued the trip up to the
mountians, OD off and on, as conditions warrented, and still fine. On
the trip back to LA, it all seemed fine too. Great, a problem, and I
can't duplicate it. Anyone know if the OD locks out when the tranny
gets hot, but not hot enough to light the HOT lamp? Engine temps were
fine all this time.
Mike
98 CC 2x4 auto v-8 318ci

--
" I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a
     nominee that will beat Bill Clinton in 2000. "