Re: Overdrive hung till shutdown

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 16:15:49 EDT

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Mike Crumley wrote:

> At 07:15 AM 8/27/98 , you wrote:
> >Mike,
> >
> >Do not disengage the OD while you are driving.............................You
> >will fry it!
> >
> >Gene
> >

> OK, I asked about this a while back and everybody who responded said they
> do it all the time and it doesn't hurt anything. So who's right (I know you
> are Gene, but I just hate to get conflicting answers to the same question)

   I don't remember the previous discussion (I usually skip over the A/T
specific info since I have a 5-speed), but, just looking at this from a
"common sense" type perspective, it seems to me that if turning off OD
while you're driving would hurt anything, they would have designed it so
you couldn't disengage it while driving. Most of our trucks (certainly all
of the late model ones) have an electronic speed sensor input to the PCM. As
far as I know (which isn't much ;-) , the OD button is electrical, not
mechanical, so it would be a very simple matter to not allow the OD to be
turned off while you're driving. I could be wrong; I don't know much
about trannies, and even less about automatic ones. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |