Re: Tips for JBA install

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 17:52:57 EDT

Donny M Hayes wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I will be doing my JBA install tomorrow. I have been following the posts
> about the installs and have most of them, but if any of you have the time,
> please email me directly any tips, hints, ideas, things you would do
> differently...etc,etc.

Donny,

I had hoped to do a writeup, but my crash happy Windows '95 machine at
home says "No" for the time being. Maybe this weekend if I can get the
OS reloaded.

One common note seems to be that alot of guys left the stock studs in
place. Helps to hold the gasket while mounting the headers. I was a
glutton for punishment and opted to use only the bolts supplied by JBA.
Try handling a copper coated header gasket while juggling a header with
your other hand. I think leaving at least one of the studs in is a good
idea<grin>. 20/20 hindsight.

You'll find the driver's side pretty easy. If you have A/C, you have to
squeeze the passenger size past one of the evap lines. Since yours is an
R/T, it won't have many miles on it so getting the Y pipe connecting
bolts out should be a breeze.

Take your time. Allow 6 or 7 hrs. max should do it. If you're one who
works on your vehicles alot, then probably more like 4 or 5.

Good luck and report back your experiences for the guys following behind
you.

Bob