Re: Tips for JBA install

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 18:23:08 EDT

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Bob Mankin wrote:

> Donny M Hayes wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I will be doing my JBA install tomorrow. I have been following the posts
> > about the installs and have most of them, but if any of you have the time,
> > please email me directly any tips, hints, ideas, things you would do
> > differently...etc,etc.
>
> Donny,
>
> I had hoped to do a writeup, but my crash happy Windows '95 machine at
> home says "No" for the time being. Maybe this weekend if I can get the
> OS reloaded.
>
> One common note seems to be that alot of guys left the stock studs in
> place. Helps to hold the gasket while mounting the headers. I was a
> glutton for punishment and opted to use only the bolts supplied by JBA.
> Try handling a copper coated header gasket while juggling a header with
> your other hand. I think leaving at least one of the studs in is a good
> idea<grin>. 20/20 hindsight.

   I took the studs out in the middle, but I did use one for the
second hole from the rear on the driver's side though. (I got
frustrated trying to thread the JBA bolt into the hole with the
limited space; I couldn't even get my fingers in there to turn it
well.) In retrospect, taking the studs out is probably one of the
steps that could ruin your day. If you managed to strip it or snap
the stud off trying to break loose a stubborn one, it could really
delay the install. Drilling out a broken stud and tapping a new
hole isn't my idea of a good time. :-)

I didn't use any RTV on the gasket (just on the Y pipe) and
I don't have any leaks, so if you don't want to worry about
juggling a messy gasket, you can probably leave it as it is. (My
directions didn't mention anything about RTV on the gasket or head
so I didn't use any.)

> You'll find the driver's side pretty easy. If you have A/C, you have to
> squeeze the passenger size past one of the evap lines. Since yours is an
> R/T, it won't have many miles on it so getting the Y pipe connecting
> bolts out should be a breeze.

   Strange... On my '96 (with A/C), the passenger side was much easier.
(Mainly due to much better access to that 2nd bolt from the rear.)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |