Re: Backspacing/Offset -Reply

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 23:48:22 EDT

Backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel and the
center of the rim.
Positive (+) offset means that the mounting surface is outboard of the
tire's center.
Negative (-) offset is just the opposite.
Make sure the wheel manufacturer is using the same sign designation that you
are before you purchase wheels. Some times they aren't
consistent. By going with the 20 or 25 mm offset (I'm assuming +) and the
stock rim width, your new wheels will be about
1/2" to 5/8" further outboard than stock. So decide what look you are going
for and triple check all information. (Ordering custom wheels
incorrectly can be a costly mistake). I believe I read on the Dakring that
Enkei wheels has a very good website that gives a lot of good
general information (www.enkei.com ?) on wheel dimensions. Check it out if
you get a chance.