RE: Shaun's exhaust config

From: Mark Bate (kd6rmi@k6.net)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 11:59:36 EDT

Shaun.Hendricks wrote:
From the cat I'd like to go into a "straight through" >muffler >just behind the cat and from the muffler just a short down turn to aim >the >exhaust right at the ground. In other words: the shortest possible >exhaust >system. I'm not even sure if it would be legal, just seems like a good >idea >to keep the exhaust path as short and straight as possible. > At worst, I'd like to dump the exhaust out in front of the rear tire >so >that it doesn't have to cross the rear axle. Does anyone make a >cat-back like >either of the two I mentioned above? >

>==
>First thing is you're going to have a lot more interior noise if you >just dump it under the truck. Maybe not so bad because it is under the >bed, but you'll get a lot of sound resonance. Second, the loss of >turning the exhaust out or going above the axle and then out are >minute. Of course this is MHO. But it's based on a street car I had. >After thrashing to get the motor in late on Sunday all we could do was >put the mufflers on with no pipes behind them. Once I took it to a >muffler shop and had the pipes go over the axle and exit under the >bumper, the car was much quiter inside, about the same outside, and it >ran the same times....no noticeable difference either way. >--
>Drew Schofield
>1998 Sport 4x4 5.2 CC Black

Dave is correct. The only thing to add is that correct tuning can improve your exhaust while poor tuning can detract. Pressure waves travel through the exhaust stream like waves in water. If a low pressure wave reaches the exhaust valve while it is open more exhaust gas is sucked from the engine allowing more torque and/or horsepower. This effect can cause you to lose power if a high pressure wave reaches the open exhaust.

Looking at the expansion chamber design on two cycle motorcycles may give you some ideas. Does anyone know of a good reference book on the subject?

I hope this helps.

Mark Bate
KD6RMI@K6.net
+1.510.429-9100
Think different... Beware of geeks bearing gifts.
W 116.33 Euro/M 117.??