Exhaust configuration

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 16:37:51 EDT

Mopar Preformance Headers (get them ceramic coated here in CA) into the
factory cat. From the cat I'd like to go into a "straight through"
muffler
just behind the cat and from the muffler just a short down turn to aim
the
exhaust right at the ground. In other words: the shortest possible
exhaust
system. I'm not even sure if it would be legal, just seems like a good
idea
to keep the exhaust path as short and straight as possible.
   At worst, I'd like to dump the exhaust out in front of the rear tire
so
that it doesn't have to cross the rear axle. Does anyone make a
cat-back like
either of the two I mentioned above?

==
First thing is you're going to have a lot more interior noise if you
just dump it under the truck. Maybe not so bad because it is under the
bed, but you'll get a lot of sound resonance. Second, the loss of
turning the exhaust out or going above the axle and then out are
minute. Of course this is MHO. But it's based on a street car I had.
After thrashing to get the motor in late on Sunday all we could do was
put the mufflers on with no pipes behind them. Once I took it to a
muffler shop and had the pipes go over the axle and exit under the
bumper, the car was much quiter inside, about the same outside, and it
ran the same times....no noticable difference either way.

--
Drew Schofield
1998 Sport 4x4 5.2 CC Black