Ping Pong

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 19:49:23 EDT

- -----Original Message-----
From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
[mailto:Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 1998 5:00 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Update on shifting problem...

   Here's another problem I've noticed with my transmission shifts (just
happened to be paying attention to it this morning). Not only does it
ping-pong at about 30mph, but at over 50 mph: if I let off the gas, a moment
or two later it "downshifts" out of OD and I get that neat decelleration
feeling. Shouldn't it coast in OD and downshift when the speed no longer
supports that gear? Maybe I'm dealing with a TC lockup problem.
   I had hoped the transmission would be smarter than this. I think I'm
going
to take it in to the dealer and let them play with it. The truck is only 4
months old.

Shaun
Tustin, CA

Shaun:

Mine does the opposite at 50. Hit the gas and it shifts out of
overdrive/lockup into third. Soon as I ease off the gas it shifts back
into OD. Kinda looks like ping pong, but makes sense. No ping-pong at 30
... but it does go into OD at 30 on the level with a light pedal.... idling
along at about 800 rpm.

I find the truck drives different if I lock out the OD around town ...
feels much stronger, but I guess you pay in gas. The OD certainly makes a
big difference in fuel economy ... getting 25 mpg (17 US) on the hi-way
when empty. My previous 3/4 ton Dodge had a 360 with 4:11 gears....it got
10 mpg (7 US?) both in town and on the hi-way. I could afford to drive it
because it was fueled by propane. It was turning about 3500 rpm at 50 mph
and probably readlined close to 80 mph (I never went that fast)...but, it
sure could pull!!! Suprised the heck of of the 'good ol boys' with their
350 chevs.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.