Re: \'92 CC 4x4 Woes

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 23:36:50 EDT

At 07:40 PM 9/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello Fellow Dakota Owners,
>
>I have a '92 4x4 CC 3.9L Magnum V6 and I am starting to think about
>getting rid of it. My Dad owned it before me and took great care of
>it, always getting it taken care of at the dealers. I have just had to put
>$1100 CAD into it to fix what I thought was a simple problem.
>
>I have a noticable 'clunk' feel in the steering wheel and brake pedal when
>I slow down, accelerate quickly and going around a corner. It is not there
>all the time, which of course, makes it harder to determine the source.
>
>The local dealership first thought it was the lower left ball joint, and
>replaced it, $300. It didn't seem to change a thing. I brought it back
>and the mechanic that work on it test drove it and then replaced the
>pitman (SP?) arm in the steering, another $300. The steering seemed
>firmer but the problem was still there. They also indicated that some
>spring in the steering was worn and the brake pedal was making noise?
>I took it back a third time, and they told me it was a worn shock and worn
>bushings in the sway-bar, $500 this time.
>
>They replacaed the shocks in the front, today, and they are waiting for the
>bushings which they forgot to order. I took it home, and they forgot to
>re-attach the rubber wheel well cover which I ended up doing myself on the
>side of the road.
>
>Maybe it's obvious, and maybe I am too easy going but can someone tell me...
>Am I getting screwed around? Is it time I started looking for newer truck?
>Please don't take this the wrong way, but is the Dakota a long lasting,
>reasonably durable, decent truck? I used to think so, but now I am
>concerned.
>
>One last thing, the paint is really oxidized on the hood and roof and I
>can't bring up a shine with any kind of wax. Also, a 1.5" square has
>peeled off the right front fender. Should Chysler cover that on a '92?
>
>Thanks very much,
>
> Stephen

The dealer is seriously jerking your chain. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!! That
is, if there is another dealer in the area. Our Chrysler dealer is the
same way, 'cause no one wants to go 90 miles to the next nearest Chrysler
dealer. I think a couple people got their trucks painted and payed 50% or
so. The paint on my 93 sucks, too.

Brian