\'92 CC 4x4 Woes

From: dakota@silk.net
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 22:40:02 EDT

Hello Fellow Dakota Owners,

I have a '92 4x4 CC 3.9L Magnum V6 and I am starting to think about
getting rid of it. My Dad owned it before me and took great care of
it, always getting it taken care of at the dealers. I have just had to put
$1100 CAD into it to fix what I thought was a simple problem.

I have a noticable 'clunk' feel in the steering wheel and brake pedal when
I slow down, accelerate quickly and going around a corner. It is not there
all the time, which of course, makes it harder to determine the source.

The local dealership first thought it was the lower left ball joint, and
replaced it, $300. It didn't seem to change a thing. I brought it back
and the mechanic that work on it test drove it and then replaced the
pitman (SP?) arm in the steering, another $300. The steering seemed
firmer but the problem was still there. They also indicated that some
spring in the steering was worn and the brake pedal was making noise?
I took it back a third time, and they told me it was a worn shock and worn
bushings in the sway-bar, $500 this time.

They replacaed the shocks in the front, today, and they are waiting for the
bushings which they forgot to order. I took it home, and they forgot to
re-attach the rubber wheel well cover which I ended up doing myself on the
side of the road.

Maybe it's obvious, and maybe I am too easy going but can someone tell me...
Am I getting screwed around? Is it time I started looking for newer truck?
Please don't take this the wrong way, but is the Dakota a long lasting,
reasonably durable, decent truck? I used to think so, but now I am
concerned.

One last thing, the paint is really oxidized on the hood and roof and I
can't bring up a shine with any kind of wax. Also, a 1.5" square has
peeled off the right front fender. Should Chysler cover that on a '92?

Thanks very much,

        Stephen

Stephen Hawtree, Dipl. Computer I.S., Member IEEE Silk Net Media Ltd.
Systems Administrator phone:(250) 860-4202
mailto:Stephen@Silk.Net http://WWW.Silk.Net