RE: Smog and Mopar Cams -Reply

From: Mark Bate (kd6rmi@k6.net)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 22:54:08 EDT

Mike,

I guess I am a tree-hugger at heart. At every smog check the emissions =
from my V6 are so far below the California limits that they are off the =
bottom end of the scale. I have paid my green dues and I assume that =
reasonable mods can be made to the engine will keep the V6 below the =
limits here in California.

My problem is that three quarters of the gas pedal travel seems to be =
wasted, always has. I guess the spark advance dies too quickly. I'm =
looking for any mods that would get my Dak to perform half as well as my =
wife's car that gets the same gas mileage. If all that fuel is not being =
converted to horsepower or smoke out the rear end I wonder where it is =
going? Perhaps global warming?

Michael Z-Sykes wrote:
>Has anyone tested any cams for smogability?<<<<<<
>
>I too have wondered about this and have gotten the same amount of
>answers you have... NONE! My Dealer tells me it will void any emissions
>warrantees, but all the people who have them say they are VERY
>satisfied. I WANT A CAM DAMMIT!!! I live in Va and some parts of the
>state will be implementing emissions crap here soon, and I don't wanna
>get the big X after spending 400+ on a Cam and installation. I wanna'
>make sure my chickens are hatched before I count em' =3D)... I have =
called
>Mopar Performance, Magnum Performance, various Speed Shops, and
>some local Garage Monkeys that build motors. No one has been able to
>tell me much of anything. I'm gonna' call Jegs and Summit and Crane and
>other major cam builders to see what they think. I'll let you know what I
>come up with =3D)
>
>-mike d.
>88V6

>Hi,
>
> and have suffered through enough poor performance. I would like to put
>a Mopar cam in it however I also have a bi-annual smog kit here in
>California. =
>
>Mark Bate
>KD6RMI@K6.net
>+1.510.429-9100
>Think different... Beware of geeks bearing gifts.
>W 116.33 Euro/M 117.??

I hope this helps.