Re: Lowering the rear only

From: DkotaKid@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 22:44:33 EDT

bnich@bellatlantic.net writes:

> I'd like to level out my truck it seems like the rear is 2" higher than
> the front. Anybody done this yet. Can I do it with Blocks? I hear the alum.
> ones are NG. I have a machine shop so I could make a pair out of plate.
> Any one know if they are paralell or have an angle? Thanks again Bob

Take it from somebody who's researched (and applied) the crap out of this
subject: me! You can do the lowering any of about 4 respectable ways. The
cheapest by far is with blocks. It's best to get some pre-made blocks, cuz
they have the pin and hole in 'em for keeping the blocks centered. A decent
set will be angled appropriately for the change in pinion angle. You have to
keep the driveshaft at the same angle with the diff. that it cam from the
factory, to insure against premature wear. I did shackles and blocks once, so
I had to add extra angled shims to keep the driveshaft in line. Never had a
prob for 39K miles. Just gotta make sure all the bolts are tightened to about
6 million ft-lbs tho, as mine worked their way loose a couple times. Oh yeah,
you need longer u-bolts to accomodate the blocks. I thought the 2" drop was
great - it "flattened out" the ride very nicely. Of course, ended up redoing
the rear about 3 different ways, and the front end two different ways, but
that's another story! BTW - get the poly bumpstops for the rear end, and
ditch the factory monsters. You retain the majority of your travel that way.

Andy