Re: Shift Knob....DML Ideas Worked

From: David Nuce (sunrise@bright.net)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 17:41:51 EDT

Hi Ron. To remove the 5 speed shift knob:

o Carefully pry the plastic cap off the knob. It may help if you heat the
knob slightly to make it a little more plyable.

o There are three metal clips (one at the front center and two at each
side, about an inch back from the front edge) that hold the vinyl boot to
the plastic console. Carefully pry the boot back and up to expose the base
of the shift lever.

o At the base of the lever is a large nut. While holding this nut with a
wrench, remove the nut inside the knob and then unscrew the knob by hand.

Following this procedure eliminates the possibility of maring the shift
level finish.