Re: performance brakes(and cross drilled rotors)

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 14:03:12 EDT

nut wrote:

> Hey Mike,
> has anyone gotten back to you with your brake pad quesions, I need pads too.
> Let me know

For those interested, Porterfield does have a rear brake shoe kit to fit
the '98 DAK 2WD with 9" drums. These are carbon/kevlar shoes. Not cheap
at $79 a set, but you probably won't find a better stopping shoe on the
market for this app. I plan on installing the front pads I got from them
over the weekend. Will consider the shoes later on.

Since they have a listing for such a new truck, I'm sure they have
something for the older models as well. Their phone number again
(800)537-6842.

The brakes on my DAK have been one of the few complaints I have about
the truck. I'm hoping between these pads and possibly cross drilled
rotors, I'll have some good stopping power in the truck. FWIW, the cross
drilled rotors from Porterfield for the '98 will run you $270 a set.
About $90 less than what Stillen wants for a pair. These are OEM spec
rotors that they take and cross drill for a $50 additional charge each.

(insert standard disclaimer here)

I'm not in any way associated with Porterfield. These guys primarily
build race car brake stuff, so use at your own risk and YMMV.

Bob