Re: Austin-area Dodge dealers...

From: roger a. Sampson (rsampson@ddc.net)
Date: Sat Sep 12 1998 - 10:21:20 EDT

willk@lantelsys.com wrote:

> I am planning on purchasing a new Dakota and was wondering if anyone has any
> experience (good OR bad) with dealerships in the Austin, Texas area?
>
> Information on sales, support after the sale, etc. would of interest, and will be
> helpful in deciding which dealership to purchase from.
>
> Any info or experience would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will Kacy
> willk@lantelsys.com

> (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
> (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
> /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
> / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
> * ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
> ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
> Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)
Will,
I purchased my Dakaota from Gunn Dodge because they have a One Price
policy which reduces at least part of the buying hassle. They, of course
, add back the front in hassle at the back end by trying to get you to
buy extended warranties, glass etching, additional security systems, and
a host of high margin dealer adds.

I live in south Austin, and could not get the local delaers, South Star,
Heart, etc. to order a vehicle. They just want to sell what is on the
lot or do dealer trades. I required 5 speed, V8, 4 wheel anti lock, 3.55
rear axle etc. Other things where optional to me but no one could get
past my required list.

Gunn ordered the vehicle, the sales person knew nothing about Dakotas,
nor could he understand my requirements, but at least he was a good
order taker which is all I wanted so in my mind he met my expectations.

I took the vehicle back once for service, which was a disaster. Vehicle
not ready, they did not do the requested work, etc. I have not been back
and have just done my own servicing. Vehicle now has 30, 000 miles.

Bottom line is they met my expectations of a modern dealer. I did not
want any hand holding, and I have low expectations for after sales
service. They met my requirements.