testing paper open 14" air cleaner to the same K/N

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 00:34:39 EDT

I have been using a 14" open K/N air cleaner for a while and am going to
do a test between the same and a 14" paper element.
The test will be on how well each of them do on filtering as well as gas
mileage and performance.
I will be using each filter for 4000 miles and then change the oil and
get an oil analysis performed.
The first step has been done ( 14" K/N ).
My average gas mileage is around 12.5 city 17.5 highway.
Performance is just the seat of your pants dyno, I haven't been able to
get to the drag strip yet.
I will be sending the oil out on tuesday, it will take about a week to
get the results back.
My initial feel is that with the paper filter there isn't much if any
difference in performance and sound, but a tenth or two would be hard to
tell with out going to the strip.
I am using Mobil 1 0w40 oil along with a Mobil 1 oil filter.
The paper element air filter is a 14"x3" Purolater.
My main concern is the filtering ability of the K/N. In the past I have
used them and have always seen high levels of Silicone ( dirt ) in my
oil analysis compared to a paper element filter.
As we all know dirt will kill an engine. I know that a lot of you will
be giving me hell over this, but time will tell whether a $2.50 cheap
filter will perform as well, and out filter the High priced K/N.
FWIW, I usually change oil and filter at around 8000 miles with a oil
analysis at 4000 miles to keep an eye on everything.
most of my cars/trucks have gone over the 150000 mile mark with out any
problems at all and usually never have to add any oil between changes.

Colin H.