RE: RE: Vortech& Ram-Air hood question

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@kp.org)
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 17:54:53 EDT

Joel,
I haven't installed a Paxton on a Dodge but I have installed one on a 93
Mustang. I personally like the Vortech kits and superchargers (just my
opinion). Both kits
have their pros and cons. The Vortech gear drive is virtually indestructible
as compared to the Paxton (ball drive). The Paxton has a self contained
oiling system
and secondary injectors triggered by additional boost. The Vortech relies on
a Fuel Management Unit (FMU) for boosting fuel pressure to the injectors.
The Vortech
requires you to return oil back into the oil pan. I actually removed the pan
on my truck and silver brazed a fitting into the pan for oil return. The
Paxton is definitely
quieter than the Vortech but still too noisy for my tastes. The Vortech
tends to run cooler than the Paxton (helps cool the compressed intake air
charge). Vortech
tends to offer a better warranty. Both superchargers will generate more
boost than the Magnum engines can handle in stock condition. With a stock or
mild cam
the Magnum engine will detonate with boost figures over approx. 4 lbs boost
guaranteed. I had to resort to all kinds of tricks to fix the problem (boost
retard
ignition, lower compression, special computer) and the thing is still
temperamental. An individual needs to seriously think about this before they
venture down this
path. The bottom line for me was an investment of about $7,000 dollars
(supercharger kit plus engine work) and I still am not totally happy with
the total package.
That is why I have two trucks and the supercharged one is not my daily
driver. I am pleased with the horsepower results (400+ at 4,700 RPM). I am
glad I did the
work but if I had to do it over again, I would opt for a RAM with a V-10 (a
lot cheaper). My thoughts........
        Frank