RE: RE: Vortech& Ram-Air hood question

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@kp.org)
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 13:20:17 EDT

Patrick,
Vortech does make a compressor with helical cut gears, (X-Trim) but the
R-Trim and the S-Trim are straight cut. The noise is actually harmonics
between the
gears and the compressor. Everyone that I have installed has been noisy (I
do hear stories of quiet ones but it is definitely not the norm). Above idle
they do quiet
down but you still here the compressor whine. I even opened up the oil
restrictor from .039 inch to .045 in hopes that more oil to the gears would
quiet it down,
but no change. I don't like the sound of the bypass valve on deceleration
(just as annoying as the gear whine). I like a mechanically QUIET engine and
the
Vortech doesn't fit the bill, but I do like the power. Efficiency is about
the same between the Vortech and the screw chargers........
        Frank