Cheap scan tool?? (Ease)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 21:03:33 EDT

  I was surfing around trying to find some info on ISO 9141-2, and I
came across this page:

  http://www.easesim.com

  They've got an OBDII scan tool (PC Based) for $295. It gets more
expensive if you want more interfaces or the professional version, but
if I'm reading this right, the interface for Dodge Truck will also work
with:

  Acura, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Geo, GM International, Honda, Hyundai,
Infiniti, Izuzu (1997+), Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus (1997+),
Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Plymoutn, Porsche, Subaru,
Suzuki, Toyota (1997+), VW, and Volvo.

  They've got screen shots and stuff on their site, which I've printed
out to get a good long look at. I was planning on building my own
scan tool, but for 300 bucks, I can probably save myself a lot of
aggrivation and sleep deprivation. :-) Also, this thing has a
ton of features whereas anything I would come up with would probably
be pretty lame by comparison.

  So...

  Does anyone know anything about this scan tool or this company?
(Are there any other similar tools in this price range?)
Good deal or no? I noticed that they have quantity pricing
(though you have to call 'em to get the details on that), so
maybe a group purchase if enough people are interested?

  I'm pretty sure you can't use it to program stuff, but I
don't care about that; I just want a nice close look at what
my truck is thinking. :-)

  There has been considerable talk about scan tools in the past,
so I searched the archives, but I didn't see any mention of this
particular one.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |