drivetrain

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 18:28:45 EDT

How can I tell if I have worn or bad U joints?

Is it normal for the shaft coming out of the transmision to have some
lateral play in it? I can physically move the drive shaft just a hair
up and down and side to side, and it's the transmission shaft that
seems to be moving, the rear end connection is rock solid...

Help! The big race is next week and I'd hate to loose a drive shaft
on the track.....

I have just noticed a subtle vibration around 55mph. I thought it was
tires, but I just had them rotated and balanced (they were supposed to
be balanced) and now it seems even worse than before. I can see my
steering wheel vibrate also, so would the drive shaft or tranny cause
that? It also seems to come and go at times...

---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt
 My Dakota page==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html
 Dakota Webring==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/webring/ring.html