Re: ET's - Why am I going slower?????

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 21:50:10 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/98 11:44:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, leefam@wcc.net
writes:

<< The wierd thing is that it really feels as though it has dropped a cylinder
 or something. It hasn't, but feels like it. >>

Sur you didn't burn a wire on the headers ?

<<The weird part is the low end torque thing. I drove
it a bunch today, and it barely squeals the tires from a dead stop. >>

Definitely strange. One thing to check or have checked is the base timing (or
injector timing) which is controlled by turning the distributor. Pretty tricky
process but needs to be right on. It can't be done with a timing light but
there is a procedure which I think has been upgraded from the FSM by way of a
TSB. Not sure but the mech at my dealer checked and set it on mine. Don't know
that it was off but now I know it's on and this off could be a problem. The
ignition timing is controlled by the computer and is not adjustable. I may be
worth checking because something is definitely not up to par or though it
appears. The headers didn't seem to hurt anything on mine and I have fairly
open exhausts where it would seem would have bothered if it was going to. Can
you feel this thing shift into second when taking off normally in drive ? I
had seen a problem where the cable from the TB to the Tranny was off and it
would shift to second so fast that it was like taking off in second. Take off
in drive easy and when you feel it shift the first time hold the throttle and
then shift manually down to second and then first to see which gear it was in.
Once the cable was adjusted right it was like a different vehicle.

Just thoughts but one of em may be the problem. Give me some more info and
I'll keep peckin away at it.

Bill