Re: Demons that lurk in the Dark

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 12:28:03 EDT

On 22 Sep 1998 Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com wrote:

[...]
> Eaton probably will be keeping his postion, very few will "retire" and
> Chrysler will likely be left alone save for positive improvements. Those
> homes in Auburn hills may be for "German" engineers and executives to come
> over and study how Chrysler works and where they can improve. I'd love to see
> cars coming from CC that have the standards that Daimler demands from Mercedes
> Plants.

    I'd love to see that too. :-)

  However, as I understand it, Eaton will be a sort've "co-CEO" for 3
years, and then the whole ball 'o wax is going to be run from Stuttgart.

  This whole situation has the potential to syrocket Chrysler or
to drive it into the ground. Then again, things might stay the way they
are. One of the biggest problems with this merger (as I see it) is the
lack of information. Does anyone REALLY know what is going on, and what
Daimler intends to do? Its all the uncertainties that seem to be
driving people crazy. Heck, I'm a little nervous just as a Mopar
consumer, but my job isn't at stake; I can immagine the atmosphere
inside the CC offices and plants!

   I think that if Eaton and "The Stuttgart Guy" (I forget his name)
were to announce some sort of official plan detailing their intentions,
some fears would be allayed (or confirmed). ;-) At least it would put
an end to a lot of the guessing.

  As far as CEOs selling out goes, I'm not familiar with Bob Eaton, so I
can't speculate as to his motives, but there are CEOs who make their
entire careers selling out companies. They make 'em look good
on paper, then sell 'em off, often to foreign firms. In the process,
they get a nice lump of money in the form of cashed in stock options
and/or severance pay.) Then they move on to the next company. So,
its a possibility, sure.

   This merger bugged me a lot at first, but I've come to realize that
there's nothing I can do about it except to sit back, watch, and hope
for the best.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |