Re: Slick 50

From: Dan DePardo (JetPilot@ukans.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 15:48:51 EDT

Well, I've used Slick 50 in both my pre-Dakota truck (an '88 Ford Ranger
with a 2.0L...) and in the stroker small block that I'm currently running in
my '68 Cougar.

In the case of the 2.0L 4-banger (four hamsters in one of those "exercise wheels"
with me cracking the whip over 'em is more like it!) I had to adjust the idle
*down* after the Slick 50 had been in the engine for a few days! After the treatment,
the poor four also put out considerably less engine noise, especially under load
or at high RPM. I drove that truck for over 8 years, most of the time in stop and
go traffic, never had a single engine problem, and it never failed to start even during
week long periods of sub-zero temps...no block heater either!

I first added Slick 50 to the Ranger at 10K miles, then retreated it when I replaced
the timing belt at 60K (normal maintenance).

On the other hand, in the V-8 I saw no discernable difference in idle RPM, performance
or overall engine noise after adding Slick 50...go figure. The V-8 was undoubtedly
assembled with quite a bit more attention to detail than the assembly-line four
cylinder, (balanced Wisecos and a truly blueprinted rotating assembly, polished crank journals, align bored block...etc. etc.) and the differences in power output vs. "friction"
might be the explanation.

Once I hit 10K or so on the Dakota, chances are I'll Slick 50 my V-6!

Dan "Slippery Devil" DePardo